As the final phase of the Big Sky 2025 10-year vision, Big Sky Resort is re-envisioning the on-mountain experience of Lone Mountain. The marquee projects in this transformation include a new base to summit lift network, world-class on-mountain food and beverage experiences, and more – all working together to transform tourism in Southwestern Montana. With both summer and winter mountain experiences worthy of the American Alps, we have a bright future ahead in Big Sky. Explore the projects below and stay tuned at the Big Sky Resort website for details as work begins in summer 2022.
In this Final Phase of Big Sky 2025 both the winter skiing and summer recreation experience will be improved.
- New gondola and tram connectivity will allow for pedestrian access to the summit of Lone Mountain for the first time ever, both in winter and summer.
- Tram experience will also include an all-glass scenic viewing platform with panoramic views to the surrounding peaks, and down the fall line of Lone Mountain through the glass floor.
- On-mountain facilities include numerous dining experiences from fine to family-casual, shopping, rental locations, summer and winter activity hubs, and a dedicated Mountain Sports learning center.
- Scenic lookouts, ziplines, a mountain coaster, and expanded mountain biking access expand on-mountain activities while preserving the skier experience.
- Improved facilities and connectivity to the peak will allow guests to have a full on-mountain experience that is comfortable and seamless.
The replacement of the Lone Peak Tram has been long-awaited after its 25 years of operation. Bringing a new scenic viewing platform and a quicker ride, we will continue to preserve the core ski experience off the summit by managing the number of skiers every hour based on current conditions. The new tram will be the first project to break ground with construction beginning in summer 2022.
The top terminal of the new tram will include an all-glass viewing platform with panoramic views to the surrounding peaks, and down the fall line of Lone Mountain through a glass floor. A completely reimagined scenic experience on the summit of Lone Peak complements the ski access, offering guests a must-do activity during both winter and summer seasons.
A new two-stage gondola will replace the existing Explorer chair, which has been in operation since the resort’s opening in 1973. The new gondola will extend all the way to the Bowl, connecting to the lower terminal of the new tram, the mid-station Learning Center, and multiple dining facilities. This replacement will transform access to the Explorer and northern Swift Current terrain with the new gondola providing massive improvements to comfort and speed.
Food and Beverage
Transforming on-mountain food and beverage experiences is a core component of the 2025 vision. A new food and beverage hub located at the connection point between the gondola and tram will be the marquee installation, featuring numerous outlets from fine dining to bars and family-friendly comfort options. With floor-to-ceiling glass windows looking out to panoramic views of Lone Peak and the surrounding ranges, guests will have the ultimate convenience and comfort to access the heart of Big Sky’s terrain.
If you want to chat with us about why we love Big Sky feel free to reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and at our contact page!